    SubjectRe: mozilla+XFree86+Linux-2.1.x => HARD LOCKUP (addition)
    Usually I'm the one seeing problems no one else is seeing.  This time I
    can't reproduce what I believe you all are talking about. Motherboard
    is TMC TI5VG+ with VIA MVP3. The drive is happily using UDMA.

    On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > > I have a VIA and get lockups with DMA to my IDE disk, unless
    > > > I do hdparm -X34 as well.
    > >
    > > I don't think so, but I can't tell for sure. The problem happened
    > > in the sound code when the driver attempted to figure out how much the DMA
    > > transfer had progressed, by accessing the counter in the ISA DMA
    > > controller. Under heavy CPU load, and for some unknown reason, the VIA
    >
    > I've seen several VIA + (other DMA) and VIA + IDE dma = lockup problems.
    > You can tell the chipset lockup easily. The reset button wont get you out
    > of it on an ATX board you actually need to use the hard power off stuff
    > on the back.
    >
    > > runs when it gets its interrupt. Maybe Alan can aswer this one, Alan?
    >
    > Who knows. VIA don't answer emails.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:5.807 / U:0.008 seconds]