SubjectRe: [offtopic] Re: 2.1.131 first impressions

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Jamie Lokier wrote:

> NFS mail is faster (because of the kernel cacheing) :-)

Doubtful. With the right mailbox format, IMAP is significantly faster for
large inboxes and folders. I have users that like keeping several hundred
megs in their inboxes. Try reading mail with an NFS based mail. Good luck.
=)

> POP & IMAP don't work with all useful mail clients

Unfortunately that is true but hopefully NFS based mail clients will
either go away or come to their senses.

> You can use fetchmail, but then you don't have roving access to your spool
> (unless your home directory is NFS-mounted)

IMAP leaves everything on the server. That's true roaming for me. I can
leave a mail session open at work, go home and open another mail session
over a slow connection without any problems. I'm sure you won't want to
try to do NFS over a slow connection?

> If your home directory is NFS-mounted (any *many* are), the same
> problems as with an NFS mail spool apply.
>
> So it still has to be fixed.

Note I didn't say it shouldn't be fixed. What I said was using NFS based
mailers was braindead. I guess this is now at least quite a bit offtopic.
I'm more than happy to continue this in private discussion or on
linux-apps (there's one right? I don't remember).

--Jauder

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.044 / U:0.204 seconds]