SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
Date
> One more killer issue please:  extraction of the strings from the kernel
> almost entirely (external drivers and panic messages excepted).
> Several benefits ON TOP OF translatability:

Thats part of the same thing

> 1. Reduced kernel image size
> 2. Reduced space needs for log buffer

Those are real issues but #3 is stretching it

> 3. Reduced latency for interrupt level events (printk's).

> get the assistence of several volunteers to clean up the few hundred
> printk's that do not convert automatically. (I already have
> a program written that will convert 15,800 of the printk's,
> but it skips several hundred. That is still well over 95% of them.)

Thats a good start. Im not sure I like the output format but obviously
thats an easy bit to change.

From my point of view "shortened" (ie your stuff) is a variant on "english"
(we have now). For debugging kernels the full english would definitely be
useful. Plenty of non fatal messages are the not always non fatal..

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.224 / U:0.168 seconds]