    SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
    Jes Sorensen <> writes:

    > Drago> So is that why the old IBM mainframes tagged every system
    > Drago> message with a unique identifier?
    > Oh and everybody should have a 2000 page translation table on paper?

    Why? grep is your friend.

    > Drago> I think having messages appear in the sysadmin's native
    > Drago> language has merit. The front line for Linux support is moving
    > Drago> away from this list.
    > I really can't see the point here, all the commands on the system are
    > in english anyway,

    There is an internationalisation project underway; most GNU packages
    support localisation nowadays (the biggest that doesn't being
    gcc/egcs, and internationalising that is on the agenda - admittedly,
    some way away from `now'). Look up the xgettext package.

    > C is using English.

    The ISO C Standard does mandate an awful lot of what is basically
    variant English, yes. I doubt this will change soon :)

    > Drago> Once messages permeate back to this list, they can be converted
    > Drago> back to English just as the original message was converted
    > Drago> originally to the native language.
    > Sorry but I am not going to waste my time trying to decode error
    > messages from my own code

    Again, grep or the tags system can do this in seconds. This is a
    non-issue. What is an issue is people posting error message in
    character sets you cannot decode, so you can't search for the message
    in the internationalisation headers at all :(

    `Anyone who says you can have a lot of widely dispersed people hack
    away on a complicated piece of code and avoid total anarchy has never
    managed a software project.' - Andy Tanenbaum in 1992 on comp.os.minix

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.024 / U:4.116 seconds]