    SubjectRe: IDE freeze for seconds
    On Thursday, 03 December 1998 at 08:43, Helge Hafting wrote:
    > Roeland Th. Jans wrote:
    > > >
    > > > i don't see a smiley, but i have to assume that that was a little joke! right?
    > >
    > > well, the problem is that... it's true. so don't use ower management on the
    > > earth spin...
    > Where do people get such crazy ideas?
    > Earth's gravity has nothing to do with spin, but mass. The mass creates
    > the gravity. The spin creates a centrifugal force that's opposed
    > to gravity, it weakens the effect of gravity slightly.
    > Stopping the spin wouldn't mess up gravity at all. There would
    > be other unpleasant effects like making a day half a year long,
    > turning one side of the planet into desert and freezing the other.

    Really? I thought if spin were stopped then days would be eternal on one side of the planet
    and nights on the other... I guess it depends on whether your frame of reference is the
    Sun or some grid arbitrarily laid out on the solar system.
    Brendan Cully
    `cat ~/.signature`

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:3.704 seconds]