SubjectRe: Dumb question: Which is "better" SCSI or IDE disks?
On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Leonard Zhang System Administrator ISD RVIB wrote:

> 1. Some hard disk manufactures are using same disk drive
> (physically) to make SCSI and ATA. They only change the PCB board.

And together with that they change the cache and add far
superior firmware than the crap they put on the IDE disk.

> 2. SCSI-1 and SCSI-2 have 8 bit data bus, while ATA have 16 bit data
> bus.

Irrellevant and not always true. SCSI utilizes the bus much
more efficiently (disconnect/reconnect) so the effective
bandwidth is usually more with SCSI.

> 3. ATA got disk cache built in as well.

But it is usually far less cache and ATA doesn't provide
the logic infrastructure to actually use it in an intelligent
way (although IDE write caching has improved things a little
bit). You lose another data point for the fact that IDE
cache firmware often is almost braindead.

> 4. Some low end of SCSI host card is only 8 Bit card.

Some low end IDE drives are slow -- what's your point?

We are comparing the equipment of TODAY. It would be
total nonsense to compare IDE stuff from today with
1991's SCSI controllers...

The way you are comparing IDE and SCSI is just too biassed
to be taken seriously -- please make a more balanced
judgement next time...

regards,

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE