    SubjectRe: [OFFTOPIC] Re: linux kernel hackers discover new theory of relativity!
    Date
    Followup to:  <199812031516.KAA20055@mailboy.risq.qc.ca>
    By author: Christophe Dupre <duprec@risq.qc.ca>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > > I blame it on all those space cadet shows that have their space craft
    > > spinning sections of their bodies supposedly to create artificial gravity.
    > > I've always wondered though, if the spinning resulted in artificial gravity
    > > (I assume because of the direction of the floor in relation to those inside)
    > > then what about when this spinning object is travelling in a direction
    > > different from the spin direction.
    >
    > Babylon 5 is closer to the reality of physics - the spinning station
    > creates artificial gravity, but only for people standing on the
    > inside walls of the cylinder. Those who are near of rotation axis
    > are in zero-gravity. This is not gravity guys, it's centrifugal
    > force, the same that pushes you against your car's window when you
    > take a sharp turn. --

    Actually, it *is* gravity. Read up on general relativity if you don't
    believe me.

    -hpa
    --
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key