    SubjectSAR (was Re: disks stats through /proc)
    Hi,

    On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 13:39:42 +0000 (GMT), Tigran Aivazian
    <tigran@aivazian.demon.co.uk> said:

    > IMHO, this should be done on a fine-grained (partition level) rather than
    > coarse (drive) level. There is enough information in
    > ll_rw_blk.c/add_request() to do it now but, of course, kernel_stat
    > structure will have to be seriously modified.

    > There is something frustrating about the quality and speed of Linux
    > development. I.e. the quality is too high and the speed is too high,
    > in other words, I can implement this disk stat feature, but I bet
    > someone else has already done it and is just about to release his
    > patch to Linus soon...

    Yep, done that. :)

    I have patches for 2.0.34/35 and 2.1.125 already working, outputing
    both per-partition and per-spindle access stats via /proc/partitions.
    A "sard" front-end gives human-readable output. (It is modeled on the
    output of the SVR4 "sar -d" output.)

    Currently you get average %utilisation; average request queue length;
    number of K transfered plus number of distinct IOs for reads, writes
    and combined; and average request service time for each disk and each
    partition.

    Look for

    ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org:/pub/linux/sct/fs/sard-0.2.tar.gz

    for the patches and sard source code. The plan is to integrate this
    into 2.3 once we have got a more sensible kdev_t in the kernel.

    --Stephen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.021 / U:0.760 seconds]