    SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.131..
    On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > >
    > > if (buffer_over_borrow() || pgcache_over_borrow())
    > >- shrink_mmap(i, gfp_mask);
    > >+ state = 0;
    > >
    > >This is a good fix as it returns behaviour back to the normal
    > >and desired behaviour (except for too heavy cache pruning).
    > >This patch would have been better however, since it does what
    > >we want without too heavy cache pruning or massive swapout
    > >frenzies.
    > do_try_to_free_page() starting from its name must try to free 1 page. If
    > shrink_mmap() just freed one page we have just finished our work and in
    > such case why to continue eventually with a not needed swap out?

    You haven't read my message, have you? :)

    The next paragraph contained my own fix that does both
    the above and frees memory while swapping...

    Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE
    | Linux memory management tour guide. |
    | Scouting Vries cubscout leader. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:18.004 seconds]