SubjectRe: Problem with 1G RAM
On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Tymm Twillman wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
> > >
> > > i tried 2.1.130. it works fine with memory up to 1008M. at 1016M, the kernel
> > > boots, but sound and some other modules won't initialize correctly and file
> > > system is in trouble as well ( cuz the root is not cleanly unmounted even via
> > > regular shutting down). beyond 1016M, the kernel either reboot itself right
> > > away or just hang.
> >
> > It would. See include/asm/page.h for directions to building a 2Gig/2Gig kernel
> Perhaps it would be a good idea to clone this info in the Documentation
> directory (especially as the # of people with > 950 MB of memory is only
> going to grow, and include/asm/page.h isn't the most intuitive place to
> look :) ) ... Or even have it as a configuration option (with appropriate
> warnings, of course)

I will set up a Linux MM documentation section in the Linux
MM site. Then I'll also put a pointer file ("More.Info" or
something like that) in the Documentation directory.

Then every kernel subsystem is free to setup a web page/site
to document problems, internal structure, hacking info, todo
lists and tips&tricks themselves.

Including all possible info with the kernel would be far too
much and restricting the available info would be a bad thing.

Once each subsystem has it's own site there could even be a
bit of competition over who's got the best site -- this will
undoubtedly annihalate the "no support" FUD we've all been

Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE
| Linux memory management tour guide. |
| Scouting Vries cubscout leader. |