    SubjectRe: Problem with 1G RAM
    On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Tymm Twillman wrote:
    > On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > >
    > > > i tried 2.1.130. it works fine with memory up to 1008M. at 1016M, the kernel
    > > > boots, but sound and some other modules won't initialize correctly and file
    > > > system is in trouble as well ( cuz the root is not cleanly unmounted even via
    > > > regular shutting down). beyond 1016M, the kernel either reboot itself right
    > > > away or just hang.
    > >
    > > It would. See include/asm/page.h for directions to building a 2Gig/2Gig kernel
    > Perhaps it would be a good idea to clone this info in the Documentation
    > directory (especially as the # of people with > 950 MB of memory is only
    > going to grow, and include/asm/page.h isn't the most intuitive place to
    > look :) ) ... Or even have it as a configuration option (with appropriate
    > warnings, of course)

    I will set up a Linux MM documentation section in the Linux
    MM site. Then I'll also put a pointer file ("More.Info" or
    something like that) in the Documentation directory.

    Then every kernel subsystem is free to setup a web page/site
    to document problems, internal structure, hacking info, todo
    lists and tips&tricks themselves.

    Including all possible info with the kernel would be far too
    much and restricting the available info would be a bad thing.

    Once each subsystem has it's own site there could even be a
    bit of competition over who's got the best site -- this will
    undoubtedly annihalate the "no support" FUD we've all been

    Rik -- the flu hits, the flu hits, the flu hits -- MORE
    | Linux memory management tour guide. |
    | Scouting Vries cubscout leader. |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.022 / U:111.060 seconds]