    SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.131..
    Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > > 2.1.131 is out there now

    Whee! and have fun in Finland.

    > There are a few things in the VM balancing of 2.1.131 that
    > I strongly disagree with and that will make performance
    > far worse than it could have been.

    <Patchlets SNIP!ed>

    I tried these out on my current machine, and after extensive, scientific
    tests (10 minutes and seeing how my X desktop performed :), I would say
    that there is a definate performance gain to a desktop user, especially
    during swap events.

    I don't know what other implications Rik's patchlets may have, but my
    P200 seems zippier with interactive applications, compared with stock
    2.1.131 (which I have had at least, oh, HOURS of performance testing).
    I'll report any problems I end up with to Mr. van Riel.

    + John Fulmer | "UNIX was not designed to stop +
    + Secure Network Group | you from doing stupid things, +
    + Lawrence, Kansas | because that would also stop you +
    + | from doing clever things." +
    + | +
    + "The opinions contained above may not reflect those of SNG" +

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:12.480 seconds]