SubjectRe: SMP scalability: 8 -> 32 CPUs

Stephen> Hi, On Wed, 2 Dec 1998 02:09:32 +0200 (GMT+0200), Liran
Stephen> Zvibel <liranz@math.tau.ac.il> said:

>> If I'm not mistaken, on my last trip to SGI, they told me that they
>> could put up to 2048 processors in their machines.

Stephen> SGI are not doing SMP, though. They divide the system into
Stephen> up to 64 partitions or regions, and run a separate instance
Stephen> of the kernel on each one. The death of one partition does
Stephen> not kill the entire system.

Stephen> The fact that they have hardware support for shared memory
Stephen> allows it to look somewhat like SMP to the user, and their
Stephen> kernel has very very nice support for single system image
Stephen> behaviour, but it is still closer to a tightly-bound cluster
Stephen> than to an SMP system.

I am not sure I understand you right here, on the O2000 you can either
run the whole box as a single image or I _think_ partition it and run
multiple instances of IRIX on it (I think IRIX 6.5 allows this at
least, maybe I'm wrong).

The O2000s we have here run as a single image and looks like one big
SMP to the users.

Jes

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.085 / U:0.120 seconds]