SubjectISA Plug & Play support in kernel
Hi all!

I'm working with other people on ALSA project (http://alsa.jcu.cz).
Because most of latest ISA cards are Plug & Play and configuration for
these soundcards aren't very easy (most of new users simply don't
understand that resource allocation for isapnptools must correspond with
driver's settings) and after testing Tom Lee's Plug & Play enhancements
which brokes most of kernel code I tried write own, simple ISA PnP
detection and configuration code.
Please, send me reply directly to <perex@jcu.cz> - I have subscribed
only digest and I can miss your reply in linux-kernel mailing list.

Implemented things:

1) Code works fine with 2.0.x and 2.1.x kernels
2) Very nice /proc/isapnp interface to verify current state of ISA PnP.
3) If driver is compiled to kernel (it isn't module), then resets
and deactivates all ISA PnP cards. Module version leaves settings,
but reset can be forced with module option.
4) Driver supports detection of cards. API have nearly same functions
as PCI interface in 2.0.x kernels.
5) Configuration of hardware can be done in four ways (or combinations):
- manual without device driver - user can specify setup by writting
commands to /proc/isapnp file
- manual - device driver can send own or user settings to ISA PnP
routines
- auto - device driver can send none or partly configuration to ISA PnP
routines; routines will try first VALID configuration; possible
configurations are read (including dependent blocks) from EEPROM
which can be found on each ISA PnP devices
- own - device driver can set directly configuration registers for
ISA PnP device

Code is tested with about five types of soundcards and ALSA driver
(including few most complex with CS4237B or similar chips).

Where can be new ISA PnP driver get?

Driver is in alsa-driver-0.3.0pre1+ package which can be get from
http://alsa.jcu.cz (latest versions are always available on CVS). Go to
alsa-driver/support directory. You can find file isapnp.txt in this
directory with examples and some explanation.

Future?

Future depends on main kernel hackers. I want include this driver to
kernel if it is possible. I think that code is pretty stable. Can Alan
Cox, Linus and other developers send me confirm or deny message?
I welcome ideas, enhancements, changes etc., too.

I hope that reply will be positive, my code can simplify life for newbies
and enhance power of Linux for experienced users. Thank you.

Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@jcu.cz>
Academic Computer Centre, University of South Bohemia
Branisovska 31, C. Budejovice, CZ-370 05 Czech Republic

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.773 / U:0.000 seconds]