    SubjectRe: Wanted: Secure-delete utility for Linux
    On Tue, Dec 22, 1998 at 11:03:44PM +0100, wrote:

    > I suspect that it would be very safe to write random data over a file several times.
    > Unfortunately the current /dev/random and /dev/urandom are very slow in generating data. Therefore I would rather like a /dev/frandom for fast, low quality randomness.

    In that case there is no more need for the random generator to be part of the
    kernel; it much better live in userspace. Checkup the literature about
    pseudo random number generators (PRNGs). There are many different ones
    available providing different tradeoffs between quality (randomness,
    distribution etc.) of the generated numbers, performance, implementation
    cost (hardware!). One of the fastest low quality solutions are for example
    are shift registers, in their simplest incarnation they're so fast that a
    kernel implementation would provide significant overhead.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.023 / U:36.848 seconds]