SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

I believe it is 20 years from filing date or 17 years from issue date
whichever is later (and with the stuff needed to get a patent it almost
always ends up being 17 years from issue date :-)

David Lang

"If users are made to understand that the system administrator's job is to
make computers run, and not to make them happy, they can, in fact, be made
happy most of the time. If users are allowed to believe that the system
administrator's job is to make them happy, they can, in fact, never be made
happy."
- -Paul Evans (as quoted by Barb Dijker in "Managing Support Staff", LISA '97)

On 22 Dec 1998, Jim Pick wrote:

> Date: 22 Dec 1998 15:07:02 -0800
> From: Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com>
> To: alex@cocoa.demon.co.uk
> Cc: linux-kernel <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
> Subject: Re: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
>

> shields@msrl.com (Michael Shields) writes:
>
> > In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.981220164425.2059B-100000@cocoa.demon.co.uk>,
> > "Alex Butcher(linkern)" <linkern@cocoa.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > Patents in the computing industry should have much shorter
> > > lives and should should not become 75-year (or whatever) cash cows for large
> > > multinationals.
> >
> > 17.
>
> But the USPTO says:
>
> "The term of the patent shall be 20 years from the date on which the
> application for the patent was filed in the United States"
>
> (from http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/doc/general/whatispa.htm )
>
> 20 years?
>
> I constantly hear people saying it is 17 years from the time the
> patent is issued...
>
> The RSA patent was filed on Dec. 14, 1977 - but issued on Sept. 20, 1983:
>
> http://patents.uspto.gov/cgi-bin/ifetch4?INDEX+PATBIB-ALL+0+4679+0+1+177277+OF+1+1+1+4%2c405%2c829
>
> This page says it expires on September 20, 2000:
>
> http://www.cyberlaw.com/rsa.html
>
> (Which agrees with 17 years from issued date)
>
> Can anybody explain the discrepency?
>
> Maybe the 17 year timeframe is an old rule which they've changed?
>
> Cheers,
>
> - Jim
>

> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.089 / U:0.016 seconds]