SubjectRe: Cheap network for two hosts ?
Date

-----Original Message-----
From: David Feuer <feuer@his.com>
To: kernel <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tuesday, December 22, 1998 10:56 PM
Subject: Re: Cheap network for two hosts ?

>Riley Williams wrote:
>>
>> Hi there.

>> > Best option: buy two network cards and a crossover cable or a hub.
>> > Faster, more efficient, more reliable. Slightly more expensive, but
>> > it's worth it.
>>
>> I don't know what you call "Slightly more expensive", but I bought a
>> box containing a dozen old NE2000 clone cards for a fiver. So far,
>> I've used five of them, and sold a further four for £3 each, and by my
>> arithmetic, I don't think I could have done any better...
>>
>> Best wishes from Riley.
>>
>> -
>> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
in
>> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu
>> Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
>
>I'd like to network 3 computers. Problem: one is a laptop. Any idea
>where I can get an ethernet card (preferably 10-base-T for a laptop for
>a reasonable price?

A parallel port network card might be the cheapest that you could get for a
notebook, at least if your looking for a reliable adapter. Most cheepies
I've seen, including some expensive ones, either overheat themselves,
freeze, break their dongles, etc. The best one I've seen in the Xircom
realport (dongleless) network card/modem combo, but its price is in the $300
range.