SubjectIBM/patents etc etc
Date

Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote...

> For example, suppose we ask IBM to release the MCA bus as free
> intellectual property as their part of the deal. Or the source code
> for Deep Blue plus the ASIC layouts for the custom chips.

My howling about e.g. MCA was not to suggest a deal. It was to suggest
to IBM that they unilaterally contribute something to open technology,
just like the rest of us. Linus et. al. can't get involved in a bunch of
quid pro quo with the kernel without disastrous effect on the kernel,
seems to me. Linus, GNU, AlanTedAndreas<your name here>... etc. are
the *providers* here. That would be what bothers me if I was IBM.

BTW, y'all, thanks for GNU/Linux. IBM, thanks for nothing.

Rick Hohensee

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.424 / U:0.016 seconds]