SubjectRe: Wanted: Secure-delete utility for Linux
Date
> I have finally gotten my company's systems all running Linux, and there are
> times when files containing sensitive informations are being "deleted", I really
> wished that I have a "wipefile(/disk).exe-compatible" utility on hand so I can
> be assured that sensitive informations contained in those "deleted" files are
> safe from prying eyes.
>
> Question: Is there such utility for Linux?
>
> If so, what is its name and where can I get it?

The current military recommended procedure is to remove the surface from the
disk, collect it into bags, mix it with other disks, thermite the lot and
then store the resulting blocks of metal somewhere safe...

For disks you can write AA 55 FF over each byte I believe and that will stop
'casual' recovery.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.063 / U:0.028 seconds]