    SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux

    In message <x4d85cp2e3.fsf@backbone.midwestcs.com>, Wayne Schlitt writes:

    > Interesting. Minix and Coherent were both that cheap and were both
    > much better than Linux for several years.

    I personally switched to Linux initially because it didn't cost me
    anything. I could only afford the $99 for Coherent, and barely that.
    I knew immediately that Linux was better, and did things neither
    Coherent or Minix could even early in the game.

    I have always believed in software freedom, long before hearing of
    GNU or much about UNIX, so Linux really just proved to me that I
    was right about something and that it could really be a great thing.

    > The technical advantages that they now have is due to their success
    > and freedom.

    Yep. I'll note that most companies that do well, have a similar
    model of development, they just keep it internal to them.

    I think though, you have to realize that the free software world is
    heavily subsidized by the non-free world. Even Richard Stallman
    came from the military-industrial complex since most of what he
    initially knew was created or funded by the same.

    Of course, a lot of the early efforts paid for by places like DARPA
    were freely exchanged, and I think the move away from that is part
    of what Stallman was motivated by.

    --
    Shannon - shendrix@widomaker.com - InfiNet?