SubjectRe: Raw-io & Swap partitions
22-Dec-98 12:38 you wrote:
> Hi Robert.

> On Tue, 22 Dec 1998 rob@ossifrage.net wrote:

>>> Yes, I read that - and, as it points out, an 8 Meg swapfile
>>> created with the dd command is not a problem, since that's only
>>> half the size of the "block groups" that ext2 uses.

>>> Your claim that I could replace any of my seven 126 Meg swap
>>> partitions with an ext2 partition containing one dirty great swap
>>> file is NOT consistant with that though, or have you overlooked
>>> the last sentence in your quote? It does say "no holes", and that
>>> isn't possible on ext2 for files larger than the block group, AS
>>> YOU ADMITTED ABOVE...

>> You are getting fragments and holes mixed up. A file with holes is
>> one that pretends to be much bigger then it actualy is (By not
>> actually storing large chunks of zeros).

> In that case, it might be an idea to clarify that by rewriting the
> said text.

Why ? It's quite unambigous since every linux user knows what "files with
holes" is (term back from 70th used not only on *nix but on Netware/Intranetware
as well and on a lot of other OSes :-). Or... Hm... May be not every
linux user after all :-((

> As I read the document, it implies that a swap file must be
> stored in one contiguous block of disk space without any breaks, and
> such a requirement certainly makes sense from an effiency point of
> view.

Yes, but as you noted it's impossible for ext2fs :-((

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.035 / U:0.324 seconds]