SubjectRe: Raw-io & Swap partitions
Hi Robert.

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998 rob@ossifrage.net wrote:

>> Yes, I read that - and, as it points out, an 8 Meg swapfile
>> created with the dd command is not a problem, since that's only
>> half the size of the "block groups" that ext2 uses.

>> Your claim that I could replace any of my seven 126 Meg swap
>> partitions with an ext2 partition containing one dirty great swap
>> file is NOT consistant with that though, or have you overlooked
>> the last sentence in your quote? It does say "no holes", and that
>> isn't possible on ext2 for files larger than the block group, AS
>> YOU ADMITTED ABOVE...

> You are getting fragments and holes mixed up. A file with holes is
> one that pretends to be much bigger then it actualy is (By not
> actually storing large chunks of zeros).

In that case, it might be an idea to clarify that by rewriting the
said text. As I read the document, it implies that a swap file must be
stored in one contiguous block of disk space without any breaks, and
such a requirement certainly makes sense from an effiency point of
view.

> Linux has no problems with 128Mb swapfiles on ext2fs. I'm currently
> running a production server with 1.5Gb of swap spread over 12 such
> swapfiles with no problems whatsoever. (Although I look forward to
> 2.2 and large-swap support for a single 2Gb swap-partition :)

So am I, but I'm rather confused about how that will work. According
to the implications in the various messages I've heard on the subject,
if one uses one of the new oversized swap partitions, one can't also
use either the current style of swap partitions or swap files, and I
have to say that such doesnae make any sense to me...

Perhaps you could clarify this ???

Best wishes from Riley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.031 / U:0.008 seconds]