SubjectRe: swap cache

[...]
> >This whole thread is domitated by "one process at a time" thinking.
>
> Not on my part. I'm making several different claims about compressed
> caching, which I should have been careful to distinguish (sorry):
>
> 1. for small diskless systems, it's a win
>
> 2. for small systems with slow disks, or where
> power consumption is an issue, it's a win
>
> 3. for I/O bound systems, it's a win,
>
> 4. for CPU-bound systems, it can turn itself off and avoid
> being a lose
>
> 5. for systems that are CPU-bound sometimes and disk-bound
> sometimes, it can adapt and do the right thing in each
> case
It may adapt and do the right thing when writing to swap.
There is no choice when data is read from the swap device though. You
could fault in a bunch of compressed pages in one process while
another process is doing something cpu-intensive.

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.066 / U:0.148 seconds]