SubjectRe: Hi speed serials for 2.1.130
   Date: Wed, 2 Dec 1998 12:14:28 +0100
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@bug.ucw.cz>

This is adapted patch from mizuhara@st.rim.or.jp, gigo@yk.rim.or.jp,
ytakeuch@po.iijnet.or.jp. It alows you to use speeds up-to
921kbit/second on modern chipsets. I've ported this patch to 2.1.130
and de-dosified it quite a bit. PLEASE TEST.

Pavel, I know you've probably done a lot of cleanup already, but this
patch doesn't pass the cleanliness test.

In particular, I'm really suspicious of the large table of magic
numbers, with no explanation of what they do. There also seem to
suspicious magic numbers that include the COM 1/2/3/4 port addresses.
Is this some kind of PNP code that's getting stuffed into the serial
driver?

Given that the only change to the actual guts of the serial operation is
to set the base_baud rate, I'd much, much, much prefer to see as much of
this either (a) placed into a user mode program, such as setserial, or
(b) into a separate loadable module which configures the hardware, and
then unloads itself.

Stashing this huge amount of code into unpageable kernel space doesn't
seem like a particularly good long-term architecture, and the way the
code is written, I'm really concerned about it impacting the long-term
maintainability of the serial dirver.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.024 / U:0.056 seconds]