    SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
    > The problem: if IBM supplies 24x7 support for Linux, they will want
    > to tweak the code to help their customers. No problem, and it falls
    > under the GPL of course. What if IBM uses an IBM patent? It would be
    > very bad (from their point of view) if that somehow gave everyone
    > rights to the patent.

    That I can understand. I'm still of the opinion all the abusers of software
    patents in the US ought to be nailed to trees but I can see the sanity of
    making the GPL require the patent is granted to GPL'd software only. That
    protects its value in the legacy (grin) proprietary software market. That
    doesn't seem too unreasonble an idea.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.018 / U:38.512 seconds]