SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
I have to agree that it that GNU has little right to demand a GNU/ prefix
on everything that ships which contains their code, especially with their
very free license.

However, GNU/Linux is really the correct terminology assuming your
distribution is half made up of GNU tools.

If someone were to create a BSD based Linux distribution, than the correct
terminology would probably be BSD/Linux.

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
>
> > According to Aaron Lehmann:
> > > I am afraid that large, proprietary companies with intrest in the
> > > Linux market will lead to the death of GNU/Linux.
> >
> > The character of the community will change. But the code will always
> > be there, and so recovery will always be possible.
>
> There is no such thing as GNU/Linux at the kernel level, that is more at
> the distribution level. If GNU wants to use Linux as their kernel and
> build a distribution and call it GNU/Linux, I think that would be great.
> Otherwise, they should keep their noses out of other people's products. I
> do not see anywhere in the GPL where it says you are required to put GNU/
> in front of any product that comes with or was made with GNU tools. If
> someone wants to do that (such as Debian has), I say fine, but FSF has no
> right to demand that someone do that.
>
> It would be interesting to see a Linux distribution ship with all non-GNU
> tools. I think there might be enough BSD stuff to actually do that. Would
> RMS want to call that BSD/GNU/Linux?
>

> George Bonser
>
> The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.139 / U:0.576 seconds]