SubjectRe: Article: IBM wants to "clean up the license" of Linux
Date
In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.981219160348.1981U-100000@calvin.captech.com>,
George Bonser <grep@oriole.sbay.org> wrote:

>It would be interesting to see a Linux distribution ship with all non-GNU
>tools. I think there might be enough BSD stuff to actually do that.

Not quite; I've found that even the BSD releases use quite a lot
of FSF tools (not surprising, because technically they are very good;
it's just the politics that are unacceptable), and even if you did
want to reinvent all the application level wheels you'd still be
stuck with having to use gcc, because you might occationally want
to rebuild the kernel.

____
david parsons \bi/ And I suspect that the linux kernel won't compile
\/ under anything except gcc.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.528 / U:0.472 seconds]