SubjectRE: very slow tar with deep trees on 2.1.131
> From: christophe.leroy5@capway.com
> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:59:13 +0100
>
> I dont have scsi. I have IDE (not UDMA) disks.
> Nothing in /var/log/messages nor in dmesg.
>
> christophe

I didn't catch the beginning of this thread but let me hazard a guess:
NIS.
if your tar file contains files owned by uids not present in /etc/passwd
and ypbind is running and your network/ypserver is down then you get
extremely slow untars as each attempt to contact the ypserver times out.
in such a situation, with the default nsswitch.conf on redhat you're pretty
much screwed - no one else can login, even root. kill ypbind or remove
nis nisplus for passwd and group in /etc/nsswitch.conf
<rant> is there any way to get sane behaviour in an nis setup, like maybe
letting root login because his damn passwd is in /etc/passwd and not cry
over a dead ypserver ?
there probably is, this is too stupid otherwise. someone please enlighten me?
</rant>

-- ganesh

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.024 / U:0.464 seconds]