    SubjectRe: NFS client write out corrupted file?

    On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Theo Van Dinter wrote:

    > | I wonder if anyone can reproduce the bug I encountered and better nail down
    > | where the bug is.
    > |
    > | think it matters), one or more of the object files contain junk. Local
    > | compilation works fine which makes me suspect the NFS client
    > | code. Compiling on another machine with 2.0.36 kernel and the same NFS
    > | server is fine as well.
    > |
    > | I'm afraid the information may not be that useful in tracking down the bug.
    > | If someone can corroborate with my observation, at least it is a start.
    >
    > I haven't been able to track it down quite as completely as you have (the
    > errors occur on random files during the make), but I've been fighting the
    > exact same issue since 2.1.117.

    I found the cause for this, and it's apparently been there forever (well,
    since the new NFS client went in some time fairly early in 2.1.x).

    The reason some people see it a lot more especially after 2.1.130 is that
    newer kernels can have a lot more pending writes, and as such the old bug
    can show up a lot more easily.

    I'll make a 2.1.132 soonish, I'm trying to survive my email backlog.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:2.671 / U:0.024 seconds]