SubjectRe: PATCH: Raw device IO for 2.1.131

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Chris Evans wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > > Based on 1) 2) and 3), I predict that raw devices will be standard on any
> > > "serious" linux distribution by the way of a vendor added kernel patch. It
> > > doesn't really matter if the patches aren't in the "official" kernel tree.
> > >

> > *groan*
> >
> > ... and there was Net2 and then NetBSD which begat OpenBsd and FreeBSD....
> >
> > Separate trees and confusion does not help us. Sigh.....
> It's not another tree, it's just some vendor additions maintained as a
> patch not a tree.
> Look at the "big" distributions - how many of those do you think ship
> vanilla, unaltered 2.0.x kernels? Not many, if any, to save you the
> trouble of looking.

Umm- point taken- I guess I wasn't thinking very clearly. You're right-
it's actually true that when people ask me "what version of linux" to get-
I tell them that, like AIX, "linux doesn't have a release level- there are
various collections of packages that make up 'well known' releases'.