SubjectKeyboard lockup in Linux - solved
Date
I wrote:
> My PC experience occasional keyboard lockups when under Linux.
> Everything is still running but system don't respond
> to keyboard. Even keyboard LEDs cannot be toggled.
>
> This happens randomly, regardless of what I do with the system.
> I commented out mouse driver and national keyboard support and that
> didn't help. Once it happened right at kernel initialization, so I
think
> it is not caused by buggy user-level programs.
>
> I tried to work with another keyboard (10-year old 101-key model
> from 286) with same result (it works for some time then locks).
> Both keyboards work with no problems under MS-DOS and Windoze
> on the same PC.

That was a hardware problem. I discovered that DIP switches which
control CPU voltage, bus freq and core/bus multiplier sometimes
do not maintain their settings. Too many overclocking experiments
:-) (switches designed for 10-20 flips, I made probably 50).
Now I soldered contacts which should be closed. Keyboard works ok.

PS. But... why the hell it worked under DOS/Windoze?!

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.029 / U:0.172 seconds]