    SubjectRe: > Re: Linux threads -- as seen in NT Magazine
    >You are looking at the kernels own locking subsystem not the locks done
    >by the glibc thread library

    See mea culpa need more sleepa follow up message.

    >> If the thread actually sleep(2)'s on some event, fine. But most
    >> Are you running on an SMP machine ? Do you have a threaded, order
    >> dependent pipeline that uses user-level threads and no kernel-level
    >> synchronization ?
    >I the pipeline length is strictly bounded, and the objects in it are
    >type constant do you need any locking anyway. It ought to be almost lockless

    But if they are not constant, then you do, and my current area of
    interest ( doesn't feature such
    objects. there's an RT-FIFO "DSP" like thread running (and perhaps
    bound) to one processor, and another bunch of threads playing with its
    parameters and injecting work requests into its queue. this *isn't*
    going to be lockfree.

    As I said, I need to think through more carefully whether or not
    sigsuspend() and the current schedule() semantics stand any hope of
    working correctly for the general case (of a multithreaded, variable
    workload, pipelined application).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.019 / U:55.416 seconds]