    SubjectRe: UDP bugs
    On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 06:26:28PM +0300, wrote:
    > > The reason I expect this is that an application dealing with a UDP
    > > socket shouldn't have to know the UDP, IP and MAC header sizes. What if
    > > you pass it a non-ethernet bound address, and IPV6 bound socket, some
    > > other datagram type, an IP with source route, etc.?
    > Look at RFCs. Sane application should not send frames longer 576 bytes,
    > if it is not sure that destination will accept this.
    > For IPv6 this limit is changed to 1500, not more. 8)
    > And it is full frame size... Take into account that
    > fragmentation is strongly discouraged too 8)8)

    That was not my point.
    I agree, that the default buffer size should be small.

    I'm saying that SO_RCVBUF should change the maximum _application_ packet
    size, not the raw size with UDP, IP and MAC headers included.

    So setsockopt(fd, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, 16384) should be enough
    to permit receiving 16384 _application_ bytes per packet.

    > What's about maximal received frame size, I'd set default maximum
    > to 4K. Apps, which really expect larger packets, must increase it themselves.
    > Remeber, if host does not have gobs of unused memory 64K skb is serious
    > pain for our memory allocator, 128K is reliable death.

    Agree, agree, but I think you missed my point :-)

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.018 / U:102.948 seconds]