    SubjectRe: PATCH: Raw device IO for 2.1.131

    David> From: Jes Sorensen <> Date: 14 Dec 1998
    David> 14:10:08 +0100

    David> Here is where I disagree with you, sendfile() is the right
    David> answer to pushing data to the wire, SGI's solution is not right
    David> and adds complexity to the kernel where it doesn't need to
    David> exist.

    > Provided that data is read directly from disk and put on the
    > wire, yes.

    David> And you were originally talking about fileserving and how Linux
    David> lacks there, and this is why I made the statement I did. Now
    David> you run off and say it is yet another application of data I/O
    David> that we need something other than sendfile for.

    Ok I should have mentioned that example in my previous posting. I
    agree that sendfile() solves some of the problems, but without having
    some sort of standard for it (afaik it's not accepted by POSIX or
    anything, I could be wrong, haven't checked properly) I will have a
    hard time telling people to use it - I will try though.

    Anyway sendfile() is a special case and doesn't solve the whole
    problem and as such I still think zero copy on write() is justified.

    Sorry for the confusion.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.019 / U:3.196 seconds]