SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
Bob McElrath <> said:

> I don't know if you guys have seen this (appeared on /. in November), but
> there's a project to create a "Universal Network Language" that may help
> greatly in this arena:

Whatfor? The de facto "Universal Network Language" (on the Internet, at
least) is English, and nobody will be able to change that for quite some
time to come. English has several virtues over artificial languages:

- English-speaking folks don't have to learn it. Ditto, it is useful
outside the 'net as a second/third language
- Enlish (like all "natural" languages) is a living thing, as such it needs
a broad base. No artificial language to day has been able to come near
the needed breadth
- English has a rather simple grammar (spelling is quite another matter :-)
Horst von Brand
Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616