    SubjectRe: Internationalizing Linux
    Bob McElrath <> said:

    > I don't know if you guys have seen this (appeared on /. in November), but
    > there's a project to create a "Universal Network Language" that may help
    > greatly in this arena:

    Whatfor? The de facto "Universal Network Language" (on the Internet, at
    least) is English, and nobody will be able to change that for quite some
    time to come. English has several virtues over artificial languages:

    - English-speaking folks don't have to learn it. Ditto, it is useful
    outside the 'net as a second/third language
    - Enlish (like all "natural" languages) is a living thing, as such it needs
    a broad base. No artificial language to day has been able to come near
    the needed breadth
    - English has a rather simple grammar (spelling is quite another matter :-)
    Horst von Brand
    Casilla 9G, Viña del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.028 / U:34.852 seconds]