    SubjectRe: PATCH: Raw device IO for 2.1.131
    > deemed so performance critical. Most likely, if you are going to *any*
    > processing of that data, the CPU and memory IO requirements will be
    > far greater than the kernel->userspace copy. Is that extra copy really
    > going to matter? As Linus said, maybe it's time to buy a new computer
    > if you're running that close to the wire.

    You can't buy a computer with sufficient sustained memory performance. In
    the PC world especially memory performance is comical.

    I don't want to make an extra kernel->user copy for two reasons. Firstly
    it trashes my cache completely. The cache is the only thing saving my processor
    from the slow memory bus its attached too. Secondly I don't want to waste
    the cycles doing the copy.

    The raw disk device stuff is actually the least interesting bit to me. I need
    large amounts of buffer space for video work. I can either lock the user pages
    and blast the data into them (little cache pollution almost no overhead) or
    I can allocate big kernel buffers (swap, swap, swap), blast the data into them
    and then map those pages into the user program or copy them.

    If I copy them Im already dropping frames, if I map them into user space
    I'm semi permanently committing megabytes of unswappable resource to processes.

    The same reality applies to a kernel sendfile that knows about this stuff. It
    will have to allocate huge kernel buffers and then commit them somewhere with
    undefined completion time since the data rate of a network is externally

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.018 / U:50.084 seconds]