    SubjectNew and improved 2.0.36 crash, or is this new?

    I've got a lightly patched 2.0.36 kernel (VIA apollo UDMA patches, Linux
    logo patches) with a slight problem. I'm building up a fileserver
    (largish AMD K6, 400mb of core, 2 x 13gb IBM UDMA disk, motherboard
    with a VIA Apollo chipset) and was running some routine death tests
    against it and got a pair of null pointer oopses inside bonnie [-s 800],
    after which I could no longer read anything large from the disk.

    I tracked down the source of the oops, fully expecting to see it inside
    the VIA apollo driver, but to my intense surprise I found that the oops
    was happening inside try_to_read_ahead(), with a call chain of

    I thought that it might be hardware problems with the VIA apollo, so I
    built a 2.0.28 kernel (is it just me, or has gas changed recently so
    that `;' doesn't work anymore?) with an older less-desirable patch
    (that only activates DMA on ide0, and that only works for the master
    device) for the chipset. This patched kernel worked happily, even
    under the crowd-pleasing

    (cd /tmp; bonnie -s 1000) & (cd /home; bonnie -s 1000) &

    watch me die test.

    Have I missed something that's obvious, or is it something unhappy
    with 2.0.36?

    david parsons \bi/ It's difficult to buy Triton-chipsetted
    \/ 8050x boards that accept EDO Dimms.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.028 / U:33.832 seconds]