SubjectRe: Kernel messages, I18N, etc.
> Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 01:08:42 -0500 (EST)
> From: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
> Subject: Re: Kernel messages, I18N, etc.
>
> I'd like to see it happen, but it looks near impossible.
> You can start with just the messages you see when you boot
> a plain IDE + NE2000 system.
>
> It would be great if this could work without modified kernel
> source. For example, a preprocessor that looks for strings
> that must be replaced. Line numbers with a 50-line offset
> allowance ought to do the job, along with some tools to update
> the replacement database line numbers as the code changes.
>
> make update-i18n # attempt to resynchronize line numbers
>
> With line numbers in the database, you can map backwards to
> to original English text.

I had planned on not requiring any change of kernel sources at all, except
for printk and family. In my solution, messages would be tagged based on
checksum and file name that they occur in. If a message gets update without
the internationalization being updated, the english message would be printed
until it is fixed. This means that internationalization will not be an
inconvenience to kernel developers that would rather not deal with it.
However, one issue is putting the kernel messages into a consistent format,
and making the presentation neater and more consistent. This is the hard
part, but I do believe it is worth it, and I'm willing to start it.

--
Robert Minichino
Chief Engineer