SubjectRe: kernel knowledge of localtime (user-level implememntation)
On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 04:38:56PM -0800, a sun wrote:

> umm, various filesystems (dos/mac-based) deal with everything in
> local time. not dealing with them in that way will break
> cross-platform behaviour. similarly, assuming that local time is
> really the same as shifted-UTC will also fail as you have no idea
> in what timezone a particular file was created in.

So -- we make the VFS know about time-zone changes, surely that would
work? We don't even need this to be overly clever, we would just make
it a simple integer offset from UTC (kernel) time and have a userland
daemon re-sync. this when timezones shift (eg. daylight savings
time).

Hmm... does DOS deal with daylight savings time anyhow?

I don't see where else the kernel needs timezone information.

-cw

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans