    SubjectRe: kernel knowledge of localtime (user-level implememntation)
    On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 04:23:52PM -0800, a sun wrote:

    > umm, this thread is going in circles. settimeofday(NULL, &tz)
    > provides the mechanism to do this. in fact, my original post was
    > just a question about where to stick the user-level bits. i have it
    > in the update daemon, for example, as it has minimal overhead (most
    > likely less than a regularly scheduled cron job) and you never need
    > to call settimeofday unless the timezone actually changes. given
    > that update runs every 10 seconds, you even get pretty good
    > resolution on a timezone switch.

    Make the wake-up semantics smarter... ie. if we know it's 37 seconds
    away from a zone-change, sleep for 37 seconds or less. If we wake up
    three times (10s each, so blah & sync), then the fourth time sleep
    for only 7 seconds at most.

    10 seconds is a long time -- consider someone compiling a large
    program (or kernel) on an affected FS when the zone change occurs.

    Either that, or have the VFS know about time-offsets on a per mount
    basis, and a pending time-offset update, so the VFS knows that it n
    ticks, the offset will change too m or something -- it still probably
    won't be race free, but hopefully close too it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:46    [W:0.019 / U:37.984 seconds]