SubjectRe: Problems with to large of a kernel
On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Timm Gleason wrote:

<snips>
> System is too big. Try using bzImage or modules.
> make[1]: *** [zImage] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/kernel-devel/2.1.129/linux/arch/i386/boot'
> make: *** [zImage] Error 2
>
> Out of the box, it's too damn big. How is one supposed to add the features
> that one needs of the default set of configuration choices is too big to
> begin with?
>
> Am I missing something really obvious here, because I am feeling rather
> inadequate about the whole thing right about now.
>
> Timm Gleason
Do what the error message tells you, either "make bzImage" or use modules.
Both options still works perfectly well on a floppy, the problem with the
size isn't in the compressed kernel you're trying to make, but in the size
of the uncompressed kernel which is too big to fit in memory when the pc
is in real mode, so a modified boot sequence is needed, which is what you
specify with "make bzImage" instead of "make zImage"

--
Henrik Olsen, Dawn Solutions I/S
URL=http://www.iaeste.dk/~henrik/