    SubjectRe: kernel knowledge of localtime (user-level implememntation)
        > so, where do people think a timezone updater should be stuck? do
    > people not like using the update daemon?

    My machine has an rdate call in /etc/crontab to synchronise its time
    to an atomic clock, and that call is set to run every three hours...

    well, some random program you stick in crontab probably won't do. for
    example, i use ntpd to keep all my clocks up-to-date. should we stick
    it in there as well?

    this issue has less to do with making sure your actual time is
    accurate than making sure the kernel is in sync with the
    timezone. sticking things in crontab only works if the
    smbfs/fat/ncpfs/hfs users all put it in there (and it gets run pretty
    often due to the chance that the timezone may be switched at any
    time). the reason i'm fond of sticking a timezone updater in an
    already always running daemon is because it's transparent to everybody
    and it adds virtually no overhead.

    anyways, i thought of the DST issue a little more and looked at how
    the mac does it for hfs volumes. as i suspected, if you create a file
    while DST is in effect and switch out of it, you end up with the file
    created an hour in the future. how exciting.

    the moral? local time is lame. attempting to pretend that it's really
    utc in disguise (by assuming that local time == knowledge
    of timezone) is doomed from the start.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:0.256 seconds]