    SubjectRe: swapfile security weakeness
    On Fri, 6 Nov 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

    >> swapon should keep a handle on the inode, which means the file won't
    >> be removed from the physical media even if it is unlinked (just like
    >> open files aren't.)
    >
    >Unfortunately, there are a few issues with that:
    >- it doesn't work on inodeless FSes (msdosfs)
    >- you can't swapoff() a deleted file, leaving minor
    > fs corruption on reboot (and major corruption on
    > umsdos and the like)
    ^^^^^^
    My MSDOS FAT system was in fact UMSDOS mounted, and I most
    certainly had massive corruption as you describe.

    >- since you can't swapoff() the deleted file, you
    > can't reclaim the disk space
    >
    >This basically means that we have a real problem at
    >hand that should be fixed.

    Well, only to be technically correct and perfect I suppose, but
    does anyone really still use MSDOS/UMSDOS filesystems for
    anything under Linux? I mean, I have MSDOS mounted rw for data
    sharing and DOSEMU access, but not for storing any Linux stuff
    on. Before I had UMSDOS for extra Linux space in a limited
    system setting.

    --
    Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

    Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net