    SubjectRe: swapfile security weakeness
    On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Jakub Vlasek wrote:

    >Hi,
    >i've found that active swapfile could be deleted, which is
    >IMHO very dangerous (set immutable flag on in sys_swapon call?). Also,
    >sys_swapon should check whether owner of swapfile is root and is readable
    >only to root ( memory readableby anyone? hmm...)
    >
    >J.Vlasek

    KUDOS TO YOU!!!! I actually *DID* that about a year and a half
    ago. I had 2 swap files and didn't need them both. I swapoff'd
    one of them and deleted the wrong one. As a result I got major
    kernel panics until the system froze, then when I rebooted I had
    hard disk corruption on partitions that weren't even mounted in
    Linux. I lost my D: drive in MSDOS which took 8 hours of
    fiddling and reconstructing in Norton Diskedit to recover some
    files.

    So, I agree, something should really be done to fix that, even if
    only in userland.

    --
    Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

    Linux software galore: http://freshmeat.net