    SubjectRe: swapfile security weakeness
    > > swapon should keep a handle on the inode, which means the file won't
    > > be removed from the physical media even if it is unlinked (just like
    > > open files aren't.)
    > Unfortunately, there are a few issues with that:
    > - it doesn't work on inodeless FSes (msdosfs)
    > - you can't swapoff() a deleted file, leaving minor
    > fs corruption on reboot (and major corruption on
    > umsdos and the like)
    > - since you can't swapoff() the deleted file, you
    > can't reclaim the disk space
    > This basically means that we have a real problem at
    > hand that should be fixed.

    Sure it works on inodeless filesystems -- *ALL* filesystems are
    inode-based as far as the Linux kernel are concerned. However, your
    objection about swapoff() is well taken -- we need a variant that can
    take an index to a swap area rather than a filename.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.025 / U:38.632 seconds]