    From said:
    > It might be nice for our idle process to burn idle cycles and compute
    > nuber of cycles burned. This would give pretty accurate numbers.

    Some processors will die of heat exhaustion if you do that, especially
    if cooling in a case is marginal. I had i960RPs fail that way. I was
    able to get 5-10C temperature difference just by putting the halt to
    good use. (The i960RD runs much cooler, but still...)

    A tight loop that lives entirely in the pipeline is especially evil
    (in general) because the processor is at its fastest, is not waiting
    for anything, and just causes a lot of switching. I was able to tell
    the nature of a loop just by touching the processor chip:-)

    Halts are good.
    Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.037 / U:58.256 seconds]