    SubjectRe: Comments on Microsoft Open Source document
    On 4 Nov 98, at 20:39, Horst von Brand wrote:

    > The stupid crud MSIE uses, so there are websites that you _can't_ see
    > with other browsers? I fear it is not just theory, they _can_ (and
    > _will_) use those tactics, and (given the overwhelming desktop position
    > they have) they even might have a chance. Sure, they tried to assimilate
    > the Internet, and failed (for now...).

    I didn't know this was _true_ yet, but it seemed obvious that it was going
    to happen as soon as they announced that IE would be integrated into the
    MS Windows desktop. If things continue, in 5 years it may not be possible
    to browse sites from IE, running on non MS products. In fact, the
    licensing might read that it is 'illegal to browse sites operated with non
    MS operating systems'. It's already against the licensing to use MS Word
    on a non MS operating system. Not that there exists any non MS operating
    system that can run Word (the current versions).

    ------------------Mailed via Pegasus 2.53 & Mercury 1.30--------------- Fax (617)373-2942
    Andrew Scott Tel (617)373-5278 _
    Northeastern University--138 Meserve Hall / \ /
    College of Arts & Sciences-Deans Office / \ \ /
    Boston, Ma. 02115 / \_/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.019 / U:7.832 seconds]