    SubjectRE: GURU needed: Linux vs. FreeBSD
    Not that this is at all on topic for linux-kernel, but to correct a few
    mis-statements...

    On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

    > Yes. I dont see why not..
    > In lab conditions I've dont that much with 2.0 Linux..

    Lab conditions don't mean much.

    You need a large number of slow clients. You need a large set of files
    being served. You need to understand that you have to serve peak loads,
    not average loads.

    > They arn't even saturating their 100Bt card.

    It is essentially saturating it at peak times AFAIK. Average use of ~67
    megabits over a whole day almost always means you will be saturating it at
    peak with things like ftp and web servers.

    On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:

    > Hotmail uses Linux for Web Serving, but Solaris for mail, though.

    Last I knew they were using FreeBSD + Solaris. They may have some Linux
    machines in there though.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.020 / U:31.008 seconds]