    SubjectRe: Volume Managers in Linux
    In article <19981103214553.D12914@nodonn.cloud9.co.uk>,
    James Fidell <james@cloud9.co.uk> writes:
    > Quoting Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU):
    >> I've never claimed that the ext2 is the best way to do RAID; I think MD
    >> is the way to do that. However, allowing ext2 to be able to support
    >> filesystems which span multiple block devices is a good thing to do, and
    >> a cleaner way of supporting multivolume support. Examples of
    >> filesystems which do this include the UDF filesystem used by DVD-ROM's,
    >> and Digital Unix's Advanced Filesystem.

    > What "feels wrong" about this to me is that all fs implementations are
    > then required to implement multiple device spanning, or they can't be
    > used on spanning partitions at all.

    Linux already has MD which does RAID 0 (= device spanning) just fine for
    all filesystems who want it. Now the big problem is to allow
    shrinking/increasing such bundles without recreating the file system -
    only the file system itself knows enough about its structure to offer
    this service, no generic layer can provide that.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:4.207 / U:0.008 seconds]