SubjectRe: Volume Managers in Linux

In message <>, "Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH
" writes:

> Just to confuse things a bit more, it appears that the OS/2 implementation
> of AIX's LVM (in the new OS/2 Warp Server beta) starts with partitions, not
> raw disk. AIX can get away with raw disk because it's reasonable to expect
> that there won't be any other OSes on the same machine... aye, there's the
> rub. A raw-disk LVM will force Linux to be the only OS on the system.

I'll put forward a possibly ignorant... Why?

If I have this:

/dev/sda Window98
/dev/sdb Linux
/dev/sdc raw
/dev/sdd raw

Why would this hurt anything? I can't see it bothering Win98,
unless it would try to mess with c and d or have trouble because
the partition table was missing or incomplete.

Would any other OS care that two drives were not obviously used?

csh - -
"Consulting wouldn't be what it is today without Microsoft Windows"
-- Chris Pinkham