SubjectRe: content-filtering of tcp-ip-packages
Date
In article <linux.kernel.E0zkR7e-0003qU-00@danube.inka.de>,
Olaf Titz <olaf@bigred.inka.de> wrote:
>> I don't have the user-level stuff, since that's McAfee proprietary,
>> but it's a pretty simple thing to pick up connections, manually
>> bridge them, then hand them off to a process to mangle. I did,
>> however, write a BSD-licensed firewall (since WebShield Is Not A
>> Firewall(tm), this doesn't break NDA's. Heh.) that uses this
>
>It is, however, rather easy to use a transparent-proxy firewall rule
>to redirect traffic into an existing user level Web proxy application

Sure, but I don't know of any already existing content filters
that don't cost money.

>which does the filtering. squid contains code to handle the
>transparency bit, and use an appropriately configured Muffin as its
>parent for filter.

Isn't this mass of filters, pipes, and fittings a little tottery?
There's a certain simple elegance, IMO, in a scheme where you have
a single dispatcher and a few filters to do the processing.

____
david parsons \bi/ Not, of course, that I have any personal bias towards
\/ doing it the way I did it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:45    [W:0.045 / U:0.416 seconds]